Pages

Thursday 24 July 2014

Mary Kom Trailer Review



This is undoubtedly one of the most anticipated films that I personally have been waiting for this year. No, not only because it's a biopic on Mary Kom and since I too belong to the North East, I've a certain bias towards the film. But because of all the good things I've been hearing so far about it. And if the latest trailer is anything to go by, this is going to be one of the best performances by superstar Priyanka Chopra in her entire career and why not, after all she has worked too hard to bring herself at par with the character she was entrusted with. 

A few seconds into the trailer and it narrates the gender bias we have in our country when Mary Kom's father says pointing towards the fighting pads, "Yeh ladki logo ka khilona nahi hain" (This is not a toy for girls to play with). There are so many good things to talk about the trailer that by the end of this review I might just run out of words. There is an extravagance in the minimal cinematography that the trailer shows us and the background score is very intriguing. Every character other than PeeCee seem to have their own acting brilliance whether it's the father or the coach or her husband for that matter, who if I'm not mistaken haven't been seen in Bollywood before. 

Throughout the trailer I continued to have goosebumps as the trailer picked up pace. As a revelation I also got a bit emotional when after Mary Kom is married, her father snatches her boxing gloves and put it on a pyre of burning coals. In India, where everyday millions of dreams are killed just for the sake of pacifying the society or because of a certain bias towards a particular gender, the shot touched me in more than one way. The shots of her getting trained rigorously made me reminiscent of Bhaag Milkha Bhaag. 



One of my most favourite part of the trailer is when the coach ties up Mary's kids at her back and says, 'Ek aurat Maa banke bahut strong ho  jati hain aur tumhara taakat ab do guna ho gaya hain' (A woman becomes stronger after becoming a mother and now your strength has doubled). In a country where knowingly or unknowingly there has always been a certain level of discrimination towards the people of the north-east, this film would prove to be of extreme importance and be an inspiration for people like us. 

Director Omung Kumar in his debut film wins our heart away with such impeccable storytelling and strong cinematic brilliance. I being a critic literally have no complaints with the trailer of Mary Kom and I'm pretty sure few of my fellow critics too would. As I said before, Priyanka Chopra in the role of Mary Kom is just too good and her performance is sheer brilliance. 

I'm going with 4.5/5 for the Omung Kumar directed Mary Kom trailer. The 0.5 less is not because of some fault lines but have been just kept reserved for the main film when it is out. To end with I would like to quote a line from the trailer which I also PC's one of the favourite dialogues from the film, "Kisi ko itna bhi mat darao ki darr hi khatam ho jaye". Take a bow Piggy Chops! If any of you haven't watched the trailer yet, watch it right HERE!! 



The film is releasing on 5th September 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment